Thursday, December 23, 2010

Operation Paci Removal

I know. She'll be two in one month. Yes, we still have the paci. If you're going to lecture me, just save your breath. I already feel the shame and guilt. Sord of. Except when she's in total meltdown mood and that paci is the saving grace for all of us. Then I don't feel guilty at all. There in lies the problem. I had good intentions all along to get rid of it, but somehow we always found an excuse to keep it.

Ex: Oh we'll take it away when she's 15 months old. Then we went on a trip and she stayed at Taylor's parent's home. I wouldn't dare put them throught that. Ok for real we'll get rid of it when she's 18 months. Then Beth had her baby and that wasn't going to work since he would have a paci. Then we got close to 2 and decided we should move. Of course I need to her to be "settled" in our new home before we do it.

Now, she can clearly look at me and ask for her paci. Then that is followed by the cutest, saddest "pwease." It's ridiculous. If you can ask me for it, know that saying pwease will do the trick, and do tricks with the dumb thing in your mouth then it is time to get rid of it. I'm not even sure where I went wrong with this. Mo has been a GREAT baby. Sleeping through the night? Oh yeah, that started at 6 weeks old and was permanent by the time she was 8 weeks old. Being secure enough just to go "nigh nigh" by herself without being held or rocked? Easy. Although I'm super glad that she lets me rock her a little these days. She's always been a good traveler (doesn't sleep in the car though), pretty much an ok eater, and has just done well her whole life. I know I'm bragging but she's my daughter and I happen to think she's awesome.

Anyway, all that to say I failed miserably with the paci. I realize now it would have been so much easier to take it away when she was younger and couldn't beg me for it. Now when we're in public I get embarrassed when she asks for it out loud. I used to see older toddlers have pacis in their mouths before I had Mo and I would always say that would NEVER be my child. Well, it is. I know it's time to come out. Who am I kidding? We're about a year late getting that thing out. It will more than likely be traumatic although I think one good weekend could do the trick. I just have to prepare myself for those poor tears. I get the entire arguement about it messing up her teeth. But come on people....if you knew me back in the day (some of you are already laughing) you knew my children had NO HOPE for straight teeth. God bless Dr. Ken Walley and his braces! I clearly remember one of "boyfriends" telling me he could drive the Titanic through my front teeth when I broke up with him. Thanks! No, I'm not still bitter about this, I promise. Ok sorry back to the point here...

I've heard about cutting the paci so that eventually they don't want it because it loses suction. I'm pretty much just going cold turkey with it. I have to. It's time. She knows it. I know it. Poor Mo! It's liking we're at the doctor and I know we're about to have shots and she can't even see it coming. Good thing about shots is that it's nothing a good sucker can't cure. Maybe the paci will be the same. So to all of you mothers out there in paci-land, if you have any good tips please let me know. I'll let you know how this goes. After Christmas that is....of course I can't do it during the holidays!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

At least it's not her thumb! You CAN get rid of a pacie but NOT a thumb! My mom said that they just cut OFF the tip of mine so there was nothing to suck on. When I asked them to buy another, they just said they couldn't. Hope things go well.

Sarah Broadus said...

if you figure it out let me know. I gave Aubrie (when she turned 2) the option of getting rid of diapers or her paci. She potty trained in 12 hours and still has that paci. We have limited it to at the house only but we are going to be THREE in March...and I think we are going to have it until death do us part.

Monica said...

Ok, no paci trouble here...but I think it was Caroline Hogan who called in the paci fairy. I remember reading her blog about it. So maybe search her blog or shoot her an email. I just remember it was a GREAT idea and it worked for her munchkin.

Tiffany said...

a month before JoAnna's 3rd birthday (yes, 3rd) I took her paci away cold turkey. she cried the first night. after that she would ask for it and I would just remind her, that she was a big girl now and didn't need her paci. this child always had one paci in her mouth and one in her hand. so to cry only one night was a miracle!!

Missouri said...

In the same boat Kellie and I could have just written what you said, except Coop is 2 1/2. A dentist once told me, it really didn't start hurting their teeth until they are 3 but I HATE him having it, especially in public. We've tried many things and not much work-the paci fairy, only having it in bed, etc. After Christmas and before our life gets turned upside down with the twins arrival in Feb, we are going cold-turkey! Lots of tears are on our way, but like anything else, it will pass and we CAN make it through. Merry Christmas! Brandi

Anna said...

People always told me about cutting the paci (or as Elise called it, her that) too. I think that is ridiculous, honestly.

Audrey was no problem getting rid of hers. I believe she was finished with it before she turned 2. Elise was EXTEMELY difficult to break. Her last time with "green that" was the day before she turned 3 (talk about embarrassed!) She ended up accidentally losing it so we didn't go buy anymore. The first 2 weeks were miserable without it. The worst time for us was night time. She always had it at night. She even started asking for other people's that's (Mommy, can I have that baby's green that?) and throwing fits when she saw other children with them. Finally, though, she got over it. It was rough for a couple of weeks but it was worth it! GOOD LUCK!

The Callaways said...

We just went through this.. Three weeks ago to be exact. I for some reason just woke up with a little more patience one morning and decided that that was the day. I just told him we didn't have anymore pacis. After al all out 45 minute fit he was over it. And I'm talking a throw himself all over the floor fit. He got really attached to his once Swayze got here. He still asks for it, but knows it's gone. I think it's worse on us than it is on them! Congratulations on baby #2!!

The Callaways said...

Also, the poor kid couldn't bite into anything because he had such a tremendous space between his upper and lower teeth. Now that the paci is gone, his upper teeth have come down more. The teeth will somewhat fix on their on once the paci is gone..