Monday, May 18, 2009

Babywise

Ok so here's my dilemma of the moment....
Since Morgan was born I pretty much have followed the Babywise method. For all mothers out there I know you know what I'm talking about. For those who don't here it is in a nutshell...
It's a method to follow to get your baby on a schedule. You use the clock and signs from your baby to know when to feed. For example, Mo eats every 3 hours unless she shows me otherwise that she's hungry earlier. Of course if she does I feed her. And yes if she's asleep and its been three hours I do wake her to eat. I know I know! The method behind the madness is so babies will get all of the nutrition and calories during the day to help them sleep through the night. Mo started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks; therefore, making me a firm believer in this method.
However....I didn't follow every detail of the method to a "t." For example, they tell you not to use "props" (swing, pacifier, rocking, etc) to get them to go to sleep. I do rock Morgan and she will use the pacifier to help soothe herself. Once she's asleep the pacifier will fall out but it doesn't wake her. She'll start to squirm around 4 or 5 am and as long as I reach over and put the paci in, she'll go back to sleep without a peep. Well, now we are getting ready to transition her to her own crib. She's been in a bassinet and now a pack and play in our room up until this point. I did this due to breastfeeding because it was so much easier to have her near to feed then to go across the entire house to get her. But I'm afraid that once she's in her crib and starts to squirm at these early times, if I'm not there to put the paci in she'll completely wake up and cry.
So all of you moms out there...HELP!! What would be your suggestion? Yes I know I probably should have put her in her crib from day 1, I shouldn't rock her to sleep, she shouldn't use the paci to sleep, but I did so what now? Also, the book doesn't reall go into much detail about nap times once they're older. It kind of leaves you hanging. I looked into ready the second edition of Babywise but it wasn't very helpful as far as nap schedules. So here are my questions:
1. How can I transition Mo to the crib and her not wake up in the early am if she figures out she doesn't have her paci?
2. What should our nap schedule be for a 4 month old?
3. What would you think a 4 month olds bedtime should be?

I find the best advice comes from those who have been in the trenches with you. Yes the books are great but sometimes I feel like they give "best case scenarios" but I want "realistic scenarios!" I'm afraid Mo is going to face some crying in out moments coming up and I'm just not looking forward to it. I feel like I could already write my own book on what to do and not do for babies. Oh how the second baby will be much different!!!

7 comments:

The Callaways said...

I didn't read babywise, but I did keep Camp on a very strict schedule and he was sleeping through the night at 9 weeks! Like you said, you just look for signs.. I watched Camp for a few days and kinda picked up on his nap schedule and when he started acting sleepy I just put him down. Campbell was the same with the paci but he ended up dropping that and sucking his thumb... which is fine for now... his daddy can fix his teeth later! :) I still haven't put him in his crib yet and he is 5 months.. he still sleeps in his pack and play by our bed. I just sleep better knowing he is right there. He is usually asleep by no later than 9pm every night... and sometimes earlier if I can tell he is getting fussy. You just have to do what's best for you! No body knows your child like you do. I'm definitely no pro! That just all works for us!

brad, amanda, and brody said...

Brody was in the bed with us until 6 months old, then my mom came (for moral support) one weekend while Brad was out of town, and we got him transitioned to his crib. No it is NOT fun, and yes they are ok if they scream for a little while! I hated it, but it's so worth it. You know she can sleep through the night, so you KNOW she's ok even if she cries a little.

Also, we would put Brody in bed around 8 and he would sleep until 6. Now he's 15 months- we put him down between 7 and 7:30 and he sleeps until 6.

Usually naps around 1:00 for a couple of hours

Every baby is different. Hope this helps a little. I always needed reassurance by moms who had done it!

Peter, Tiffany & Tatum said...

Hi Kellie! My best advice is throw the book away and follow your instinct. Tatum is 20 months old now and has been sleeping through the night since she was itty bitty. She takes a pacifier still and we rock her every night until she points to the bed to let us know she's ready to sleep (usually only takes 10 seconds!) I was worried when I took her out of our room at 4 months old, but it didn't phase her. If your bedtime routine stays the same, she'll be fine. As always, it's harder for the Moms! Hope this helps!

Felicia said...

Kellie, I have no advice, but to say she is precious and I will pray for you as your transition her to her bed. I love keeping up and seeing your cute pictures.
Felicia

Candiss Fortenberry said...

Okay...less than four years and three babies later I am still no pro each of my babies were completely different. Andrew was nursed to sleep (and back to sleep) his entire first year. Avery was a sleeper and didn't require "props" at all (that is she slept great until she was moved to her big girl bed and now knows she has the power to get in and out) and Elijah who is probably my last baby loves his paci and has to be rocked to sleep. He is 6 months old and still in his pack and play in our room. The reason there are so many baby "how-to" book is because there are so many babies. Typically 4 month old babies do transition to a ten and two o'clock nap. I know what you mean at nighttime...my only advice is I am personally not an advocate for the cry it out method for a baby under 6 months. I believe they are still finding that "security." I believe that God was not so specific is the Bible about child rearing because He made us all so different! Transitions are hard but hang in there You are know doubt a wonderful Mother!!

Joedee Robinson said...

LG has been sleeping through the night, after being transitioned to her crib, since 6 weeks. I attribute this to the fact that she "played" in her crib very early on. She knows it's a safe place. So when she wakes up in the middle of the night, she can put herself back to sleep (usually) because she feels safe. I would do baby steps to the crib. Let her play in it during the day, nap in it if she will, change clothes, diapers, whatever. The paci deal...I can't help. LG's not a big paci user.

Valerie Davis said...

hey girl!! my phone's broke as a joke so i saw where you called the other day so i'm on your blog!! i'm so jealous of mo sleeping so great!! we just got babywise so hopefully tanner's on his way to sleeping through the night!! i've talked to several people who said when they transitioned to the crib, they just put like 5 or 6 pacifiers in the crib and then the baby could just feel around and find one!! good luck with everything!! love ya!! talk to ya soon!!