I always feel like I make the exact. same. thing. over. and. over. and. over. and. over. for supper. If it wasn't for Hamburger Helper we might actually starve to death. (insert huge laugh) Have you seen my rear end? I'm in no way starving to death. Anyway, I feel that we throw out way more food than we consume, and consequently we throw away more money than necessary. So starting last night, we are trying a new method for cooking/spending money on groceries. This is not a new idea or anything, and I have several friends who do this regularly. So here it is...
I planned out my meals for the week in advance and grocery shopped accordingly. I tried to pick recipes that had ingredients I may already have in the cabinets. My one downfall is that I picked two new recipes that are in no way low fat/low calories/good for the arteries/help you fit in your skinny jeans. However, I am so excited about my new cookbook, "The Pioneer Woman." My mom got us a copy for an early Easter happy and it looks wonderful! The author made it super easy for those that are kitchen challenged and even included pictures of how things should look along the way as you cook. Fabulous! I don't even pretend that I am a great cook, but I will say I am a fantastic recipe follower! :)
So our menu for the week will be:
Monday: Penne Pasta (forgot the full name for it, but it's one of my new ones)
Tuesday: Hamburger Helper (Mo needs it to grow up strong and healthy!)
Wednesday: eat at church
Wednesday: eat at church
Thursday: Enchiladas (my second new recipe from the cookbook)
Friday: poppy seed chicken (the reason my hubby married me)
Saturday: leftovers/maybe go out to eat if I feel like it
I'm interested to tally up the grocery bills for the month to see if we'll actually save a little bit this way. Before I would just go buy things I thought I may cook here or there and would have to toss meat before we actually got to eat it. Sadness! If your hubbies need ideas for Easter, anniversary, birthday, or just because presents, you can give them this cookbook for an idea....


2 comments:
kellie, you may like to follow pioneer woman's blog.. shes quite interesting..although you might already. good luck with the groceries. claire
I do the same thing with groceries! I have been doing this since H and I were married. I write our menu in my planner each Sunday. It sames me from a lot of headaches during the week.
Glad you found Ree. I wasted an ENTIRE Saturday making her cinnamon rolls. Will never do that again!!! Good LARD! I totally messed them up. Will do Pillsbury from here out! :)
Post a Comment