Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Special Mommies and Daddies

This is my third attempt at completing this post... It may be all over the place and random, but just hang in there. Hopefully it will all make sense in the end.

Recently, I've either personally known or have heard of several mommies and daddies who have been blessed with children of special needs. (I say blessed because I believe ALL babies are blessings.) These babies have been diagnosed with very complicated health issues. Most of the parents I've known have been/were told their angels may or may not make it, and to possibly prepare for the worst. Some learned of their baby's condition before they were born and some faced complications during delivery. Either way, these precious families have been devastated.

What has spoken to me and stirred my heart is the way in which these parents have handled these unfortunate circumstances. They have shown such grace, understanding, and complete faith in God. I know they still have their moments privately where they are angry, upset, and shed many tears. We are all human. But what's amazing is how they are the ones sharing scriptures, prayers, and words of wisdom to the rest of us and ministering to us just by their actions. We should be the ones trying to minister to them in their time of need.


*****
We also have friends who have ministered to us without even knowing it by going through their own struggles with infertility. My heart truly aches for them because they are some of the sweetest, Godly, and loving couples. Any baby would be truly blessed to have them as parents. Some have moved into the adoption process and I'm so incredibly excited for them for what God has in store for them. I feel like the Lord truly hand picks those that will adopt children for special reasons. Others are still facing hard decisions about their next steps in their journey. These couples too have been such an example of what it means to have faith in our Lord. I've learned more about what it means to lay down your own desires and to trust that God's plan is bigger than our own just by listening to them and their journey through this incredibly hard process.


*****
I so badly want each of them to know how much God is using them to touch and change lives of others. I know personally my prayer life has been challenged in a good way. They have shown me the importance of really praying over scripture. To not merely read it and then forget about it in a few days, but to really pray the scriptures. I find myself doing this with Morgan and Millie more and more and understanding the importance of covering them in the power of God's word. It doesn't mean bad things will never happen. I'm just learning to trust God's will for their lives more and hope to be a stepping stone as their mother to their salvation and not a hindrance in any way.

I was talking with a friend the other day who is finishing up her residency in ob-gyn and I've also had this same conversation with Taylor. It TRULY IS A MIRACLE when a healthy baby is born. This should not just be considered the norm. I don't want to scare anyone who may be thinking of having a child or may already be expecting. We just all need to be reminded of how awesome the gift of life really is and to never take it for granted.

I guess at the end of all of this I want to say thank you to these mommies and daddies. Even the ones who are still expectant moms and dads. You are touching so many lives with your stories. You are challenging all of us to step up our quiet times, prayer life, and true faith in God. I cannot ever imagine what you have been going through, but thank you. I have hugged Morgan a little tighter and spent more time just enjoying her.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

1 comment:

The Lovebugs said...

Beautifully written, Kellie. I got teary reading it :) So true.