I had a check up this past Thursday and everything with Morgan is great. I had only gained 3 pounds which was music to my ears! I always fear the moment I step on those scales.. which is usually one of the first things I do once I get there. That pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the visit for me. However with it being the holiday season I will not be surprised if the rest of my visits to Mr. Mean Scales aren't as pleasant. I had no problem eating at Thanksgiving and Christmas will be no different!
On to Morgan...her heart rate was great..right at 150. We discussed the possibility of having a c-section if she is still breech, but we won't make the decision until further down the road. I have to go back for one more two week check up and then I'll start going every week after that. That is just so crazy because that really means we are nearing the end. This reality has really set in for Taylor and me. We've been running around like crazy (correction I've been running around and poor Taylor tries to keep up and be helpful) trying to get the nursery ready, decorate for Christmas, and get our Christmas shopping done. I still have a big haul to make to Babies R Us as well to get last minute things for Morgan.
Taylor and I did have a fun adventure this weekend..we attended our childbirth class! This is where I will say I am so glad my husband is medical minded and can handle all of this stuff. I am not a wuss and I can handle having things done to me. It doesn't bother me to have blood drawn and all of that as long as I don't have to watch. Just do what you have to do and let's move on. So as you can imagine when it was time to discuss epidurals and spinals during class I didn't do so well. The teacher did a great job explaining the procedures but just imagine me..having to listen to every detail of how the needle is inserted into your back and the catheter inserted into the needle to feed the medicine, etc. I started to fidget, my palms got sweaty, then my ears started ringing. That was my cue to get up and go out of the room. I tried to pace and fan myself. Then as if a discussion wasn't bad enough..we had to watch a video!! I tried to be a trooper and watch it but it just wasn't going to happen. I made my way out in the hall to the couches and let Taylor stay there so he could fill me in later on the details. Right when I walked in they were finished with the epidurals and spinals video so I thought I was in the clear. Then the teacher announced, "We'll watch one more quick video on c-sections then we'll be finished." Yep I got right back up and went back to the couch outside. I prefer to think ignorance is bliss in this situation. Those great nurses and my doctor are pros at this and they'll tell me all I need to know when the time comes. And if they don't tell me then I didn't need to know anyway.
I do highly recommend for all those expecting and future expectors to attend one of these classes. Even with Taylor being in medical school we did learn a lot. Hopefully when the time comes and I'm in labor we'll be able to remember something that we learned to do in class.
By the way for those of you wondering...yes we had to take pillows and lay on the floor on mats and practice breathing. Except I won't be able to remember how to breathe because I couldn't learn due to Taylor laughing repeatedly in my ear and saying "puja when you're ready" (That's Spanish for "push when you're ready") He learned this on his OB rotation at UMC. Such a supportive hubby!
The End of Summer...
13 years ago

1 comment:
Hey Kellie! You will do fine! The epidural is a breeze and you won't remember to do the breathing anyway ...
Post a Comment